Mountain View County's Agricultural Services Department, guided by the Agricultural Service Board, is resourced to support local farmers and ranchers with programs and services designed to enhance production, environmental stewardship, and industry growth.
Mountain View County's Agricultural Service Boards formed under the Alberta Agricultural Service Board Act, carries out the following:
- Acts as an advisory body to assist Council and the Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Economic Development in matters of mutual concern
- Advise on and help to organize direct weed and pest control and soil and water conservation programs
- Assist in the control of livestock disease under the Livestock Diseases Act
- Promote, enhance and protect viable and sustainable agriculture with a view to improving the economic viability of the agricultural producer
- Promote and develop agricultural policies to meet the needs of the County
In Mountain View County, the Agricultural Service Board includes three Councillors, four County resident producers, and two young producers (under 35).
To contact the board, call or email the board Chair Brian Rodger through Jane Fulton (see contact information below), or any of the three sitting Councillors:
- Councillor Gord Krebs (Division 4): Cell: 403-586-0272
- Councillor Dwayne Fulton (Division 1): Cell: 403-606-8925
- Councillor Alan Miller (Division 3): Cell: 403-556-0551
The Ag Service Board meets monthly on the third Monday (except for Statutory Holidays). To see Ag Service Board agendas, minutes and Zoom login information please visit the Agricultural Service Board Meeting Webpage.
Like other Municipalities with Agricultural Service Boards, Mountain View County appoints qualified individuals to implement the agriculture policies, programs and resources of the County.
Mountain View County's Agricultural Fieldmen are:
Jane Fulton, Agricultural Fieldman
Chris Chrenek, Assistant Agricultural Fieldman
Chad Verpy, Agricultural Coordinator
Their duties include:
- Carrying out the functions, duties and powers of Mountain View County under any Act relating to agriculture
- Implementing projects respecting agriculture agreed on between Mountain View County Council and the Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Economic Development
- Acting as Mountain View's municipal inspectors under the Weed Control Act,
- Acting as Mountain View's inspectors under the Agricultural Pests Act
- Acting as Mountain View's soil conservation officer under the Soil Conservation Act
To find your local Agricultural Fieldman visit the Association of Alberta Agricultural Fieldmen website.