Living in Mountain View County

Print Version

If you've decided to call Mountain View County home, or are giving it some serious thought, then there are a few things you need to know:

This is prime agricultural land:

  • Spring seeding, fall harvest, and calving during various times during the year will draw farmers and ranchers out at all hours of the night. Dairy farmers will milk 24/7; and don't be surprised to see lights in the fields as hay is swathed and baled at night. Noise from equipment and livestock is also associated with field work - both day and night.
  • During seeding and harvesting, you will likely see a variety of heavy farm equipment on Country roads- please be considerate of these slow moving vehicles- pass only when it is safe and you have an unobstructed view.
  • Some farming activities will create dust, especially during dry or windy days. Gravel roads also create dust- Mountain View County's Operational Services Department has an active dust control program for rural roads.
  • It can be smelly - You may experience odors from manure, varieties of crop, and some crop activities on windy days.
  • Be careful around farm animals - They may look cute, or downright docile, but cattle (especially bulls), stallions, rams and boars can attack humans if they feel threatened.
  • Respect all fencing - fences and pens are designed to keep animals in, and everything else out. If you own pets or livestock, it is your responsibility to fence your animals in - it is not the responsibility of your neighbours to fence them out.

Country life can be hazardous:

  • Road bans and bridge restrictions occur throughout the year. Check here for the most recent information.
  • During a major snowfall event, Operational Services crews will focus on keeping the major collector routes open during a storm event; moving on to minor collectors/ school bus routes; industrial roads; and all other County roads and subdivisions (in that order of priority).
  • The County does not plow private lanes however there are a number of local operators who can be contracted by residents. Under extreme conditions, County roads may only be passable with large vehicles or four-wheel drives - please exercise caution
  • Be alert for wildlife on the roads - deer, moose, coyotes, and the occasional cougar- especially at dawn, dusk and night.
  • Most rural children are bussed to schools in our neighbouring urban communities. Please keep your eyes open for little ones standing by farm gates waiting for buses. Please note you must stop in either direction when school bus lights are flashing.
  • Your property will have both a legal land location and a rural address. Please post your rural address in a highly visible place on the access road to your property and by your phone. 911 operators need your rural address to ensure service providers can reach you quickly.
  • Plan proactively for fire prevention. Be observant of fire bans, obtain a Fire Permit from Mountain View County or from Alberta Agriculture and Forestry, and attend all fires at all times. Brush and grass fires can become serious hazards during dry and windy conditions, ensure your home and property insurance has adequate fire protection.
  • Please note that winter and spring run-offs can cause small creeks on your property, and tributaries throughout the County become major rivers- quickly! Ensure you have provisions in place to protect your home against flooding.

Rural Addressing

  • Rural addressing allows 911 operators to help fire; ambulance and police find your home quickly in the event of an emergency. When seconds count, there is real peace of mind knowing that help is on the way - directly. These addresses are essentially a street address for rural residences. They can also be used for delivery of goods and services to your home.
  • Rural Address Brochure

How does Rural Addressing Work?

  • Your rural address effectively provides an address and a house number for every residence on your property. A rural address is not the same as a legal land description (which provides a land location, but does not identify individual residences on a property) or a postal address, which directs mail through Canada Post.

How your address is assigned

  • The address is assigned based on the location of your driveway along a county road or highway. Each road is divided into 40 metre intervals which have numbers assigned to each interval. This number, in conjunction with existing road number is used to create each rural address.

How does it help me?

  • Mountain View County has been working closely with Telus to ensure that rural addresses are tied to land line phone numbers so that when you dial 911, dispatchers will see your phone number and rural address.
    • If you are building a house, shop or business facility you will need a rural address before you can receive utilities (gas, power, phone, etc.) service at your residence. Call the Mountain View County office at 403-335-3311 when your approach is completed, and we'll survey your driveway and get your address to you A.S.A.P.

What do you need to do?

  • Post your address in an obvious place at your property line where it is clearly visible from the road. Your sign should be attached to a post, fence or permanent fixture;
  • Keep a copy of your rural address close to your phone;
  • Keep written directions to your residence close the phone for visitors to your home;
  • Maintain your address sign in premium condition.

The Sign is Cheaper than the fine!

  • Most residents will only require one sign at a cost of approximately $30. In some cases you will require more signs if you have multiple residences on your property.
  • The Bylaw infraction could cost upwards of $100 (for a first offence) if your sign is not posted.
  • Although the Bylaw does not require the Township, Range Road or Highway reference on your sign, we now recommend that you do include it on your sign.

What should my sign look like?

  • Address numbers must be white and at least 75mm (3") in height.
  • The reflective panel shall be blue and the address letters/numbers shall be in a retro-reflective contrasting colour (white).
  • Four to five digit address must be posted at approach. In multi-lot subdivisions the two or three digit numbers are required. (eg: 12345 Rge Rd 50)

How should I install my rural address sign?

  • Must be in an obvious place next to the driveway at the property line.
  • Should be clearly visible from public road (from either direction) and not obstructed by trees, buildings, etc.
  • Should be firmly attached to a post, fence or other permanent fixture.
  • Signs should be a minimum of 1 metre and no higher than 2.5 metres above natural ground level.
  • Should be on the right hand side of the driveway, entering the property and far enough from the shoulder to allow snow removal.

CAUTION should be exercised with any underground installation to avoid contact with utilities.

For assistance with this, contact: ALBERTA ONE CALL AT 1-800-242-3447

Things to remember about Rural Addressing:

  • If the location of your driveway changes, you must also change your rural address.
  • Landowners, not renters, are responsible for ensuring that rural address signs are posted and maintained.
  • The address is tied to the residence, not the person - If you are moving, leave your rural address sign and information for the new residents.
  • If you are building a residence, shop or other facility you will need a rural address before calling Telus or utility companies for installations.
  • The driveway/approach needs to be installed in order for us to provide an address.

Where can I get more information?

Contact Mountain View County at 403-335-3311; or email