Documents & Applications

Print Version

Statutory Planning Documents

Area Structure Plans

Municipal Development Plan Monitoring Reports

Intermunicipal Development Plans ("IDP")

  • Carstairs IDP (Updated Feb. 2021)
  • Cremona IDP (Updated Oct. 2019)
  • Didsbury IDP 
  • Olds IDP (Updated Nov. 2020)
  • Sundre IDP 
  • MD of Bighorn IDP (Updated June 2019)

Policies and Procedures

Planning and Development Policies and Procedures

Available on the Policies & Procedures page. All P&D policies & procedures are under 6000.

Operational Services Policies and Procedures (applicable to planning and development processes)

Available on the Policies & Procedures page. Relevant policies include:

  • Policy #4005 Road Template
  • Policy #4006 Road Use Agreements
  • Policy #4007 Riparian / Procedure
  • Policy #4009 Design Guideline & General Construction Specifications
  • Policy #4010 Construction of County Road Allowances
  • Policy #4012 Grader Blade & Culvert Sales
  • Policy # 4014 Road Access
  • Policy #4015 Dust Control

Planning Application Forms

Planning Brochures

Development & Building Permit Application Forms

Permits must be obtained prior to starting any development or building.

Check with the County Office to confirm if you require permits, or read the following Information:

Building permits in Mountain View County are issued in accordance with the Alberta Safety Code Act to ensure that new construction meets provincial safety codes.

New Building Code Requirements - National Energy Code

How to apply:

  • When you apply for a building permit, you will be required to provide blueprints or plans for the project. Please call the Planning Department (403-335-3311) to ensure your plans include all required details.

When to apply:

  • You may apply for a building permit once you have a development permit. Many people submit both applications at the same time however your building permit will not be issued until the development permit has been approved.
  • In accordance with the Safety Codes Act Permit Regulations 16 (1), work is to commence within 90 days of a permit issuance and is not to be abandoned for more than 120 days or the permit will expire. If the building permit expires, you must reapply for a new permit.

Why do you need a building permit?

  • Building permits are important to ensure your construction meets provincial safety codes. Your insurance may not cover a claim for an accident if you do not have a building permit in place.

Other permits you may need:

  • Electrical, Plumbing, Gas and Private Sewage permits are also issued through the County office.

Click to download Permit Application

Click to download Checklists

Rural Living Guides / Green Acreages

Development/Building Brochures