Rural Addressing

Print Version

Rural addressing allows 911 operators to help fire; ambulance and police find your home quickly in the event of an emergency. When seconds count, there is real peace of mind knowing that help is on the way - directly. These addresses are essentially a street address for rural residences. They can also be used for delivery of goods and services to your home.

How to navigate with your rural address:

Mountain View County submits rural address information to various agencies to ensure routing is accurate. Some of the organization where the rural address is submitted are:

To navigate rural addresses, we recommend MapQuest mapping This is the most accurate rural address navigation tool for Mountain View County.

How does Rural Addressing Work?

Your rural address effectively provides an address and a house number for every residence on your property. A rural address is not the same as a legal land description (which provides a land location but does not identify individual residences on a property) or a postal address, which directs mail through Canada Post.

How your address is assigned

The address is assigned based on the location of your driveway (approach) along the public road (Township/Range Roads/Highways). Each mile of the public road is divided into 40 metre intervals.  Each address interval contains two addresses, one on the east/west side and one on the north/south side. Address numbers increase from south to north and east to west with odd numbers on the south and east sides of roads and even numbers on the north and west side of roads.

How does it help me?

Mountain View County has been working closely with Telus to ensure that rural addresses are tied to land line phone numbers so that when you dial 911, dispatchers will see your phone number and rural address.

* If you are building a house, shop or business facility you will need a rural address before you can receive utilities (gas, power, phone, etc.) service at your residence. Call the Mountain View County office at 403-335-3311 when your approach is completed, and we will survey your driveway to determine your new address and provide you the details.

What do you need to do?

  • Every person that obtains approval from the Subdivision Authority for a Subdivision, or the Development Authority for a Development Permit on a parcel of land in the County, shall be responsible for erecting a Rural Address Sign.
  • Follow the Rural Addressing Bylaw No. 12/20  - Bylaw 12/20 when posting your sign
  • Your entire address (i.e. 31018 Rge Rd 23) should be posted by your telephones for quick reference!
  • Maintain your address sign in premium condition.

The Sign is Cheaper than the fine!

  • Most residents will only require one sign at a cost of $30 - $50. In some cases, you will require more signs if you have multiple residences on your property.
  • The Bylaw infraction could cost upwards of $200 (for a first offence) if your sign is not posted as stated in the Rural Addressing Bylaw.

What should my sign look like?

  • Address letter or number and road section of the address must be a minimum of (3") in height.
  • The reflective panel shall be blue, and the address letter or number shall be in a reflective contrasting white.

How should I install my rural address sign?

  • Must be in an obvious place next to the driveway at the property line.
  • Clearly visible from public road (from either direction) and not obstructed by trees, buildings, etc.
  • Firmly attached to a post, fence, or other permanent fixture.
  • A minimum of 1 metre and no higher than 2.5 metres above natural ground level.
  • Placed on the right-hand side of the driveway, entering the property and far enough from the shoulder to allow snow removal.

CAUTION should be exercised with any underground installation to avoid contact with utilities.

For assistance with this, contact: ALBERTA ONE CALL AT 1-800-242-3447

Where can I get my sign made?

Any sign company can produce your sign. See the Yellow Pages for a sign maker near you. Click below to download the latest copy of our Rural Address brochure.

Things to remember about Rural Addressing:

  • If the location of your driveway changes, you must also change your rural address.
  • Landowners, not renters, are responsible for ensuring that rural address signs are posted and maintained.
  • The address is tied to the residence, not the person - If you are moving, leave your rural address sign and information for the new residents.
  • If you are building a residence, shop, or other facility you will need a rural address before calling Telus or utility companies for installations
  • The driveway/approach needs to be installed for us to provide an address.

Where can I get more information?

Contact Mountain View County at 403-335-3311; or email