Programs & Management

Print Version

Regulated Weed Control Rebate Program

The Mountain View Agricultural Service Board has taken a special interest in the control of regulated weeds under the Weed Control Act. The County is offering a Spray incentive of 20 % off the cost of approved herbicides to combat prohibited noxious and noxious species under the Act. This incentive program is applicable to private land holders, private lessees of public lands, and lessees of County owned property.

How do Eligible Land Owners and Land Users Access the Incentive?

Agricultural staff has the discretion to approve or deny incentive applications to the limits of the approved budget set by the Mountain View County Agricultural Service Board. Agricultural staff will follow up and inspect the designated lands to ensure appropriate weed control has been achieved. Upon completion of field inspection and achievement of satisfactory results, on the targeted weed species, agricultural staff may authorize payment of 20% of the value of the appropriate herbicide used.

Reverse Roadside Spraying Incentive

Traditionally, there has been small buffer zone to protect sensitive crops that has been intentionally left unsprayed. Mountain View County offers a service that allows producer to clean up headlands for restricted and noxious weed with our Reverse Roadside Spraying Incentive. The landowner will spray the headlands and a portion of the adjacent road allowance to a total width of 16 feet. Pasture Sprayers are available for use from Mountain View County, free of charge in addition the County will supply adequate herbicide to cover one acre per 1/2 mile of adjacent road allowance.

For more information on noxious weed control, and incentive programs, please call Mountain View County Agricultural Services at 335-3311

Weed Bounty

In an effort to prevent Spotted Knapweed (Centaurea maculosa Lam) and Orange Hawkweed (Hieracium aurantiacum) establishing within Mountain View County, the Agricultural Service board is prepared to offer a $50.00 reward to anyone finding either of these weeds within the Mountain View County boundary. The reward is only available once per site. To collect the reward leave either the Spotted knapweed or Orange hawkweed plant in the ground where found and contact the Assistant Agricultural Fieldman at 403-335-3311 ext 184 or 403-559-7311 to arrange a site visit and control.

Wanted Spotted KnapweedWanted Orange Hawkweed

Click to enlarge image

Please click the links below to view more information about the weeds, provided by the Alberta Invasive Plants Council:

Plant Exchange

As of June 2010 the Alberta Weed Control Act was updated and now includes many plants that may appear in your flowerbeds. These species of plants that appear on the Act have been found to be a problem due to their invasive nature and lack of native pests.

In the updated Act there are two categories of weeds Prohibited Noxious and Noxious. It is required by every landowner within a County or municipality to destroy Prohibited Noxious weeds and control Noxious weeds.

To help Mountain View County residents with these changes to the Weed Control Act, the County is offering a plant exchange program for any County landowners that have the following weed species currently growing in their flowerbeds:

Prohibited Noxious


Please contact Mountain View County's Agriculture Services Department at 403-335-3311 ext 184, for information on how you can participate in this program while funding is available.

Seed plants in the County are inspected annually by the Agriculture Department and samples are taken on a regular basis; Thus qualifying Mountain View County plants to be licensed under the Weed Control Act.

Roadside Vegetation Management

All right of ways and roadsides within Mountain View County are maintained by the County, all collector and chip sealed roads are cut twice, gravel roads once, totaling 7340.2km of grass are mowed annually. This program is used partially for weed control along road shoulders, however, mowing alone has proven not to be effective alone in controlling weeds.

The County has the responsibility to administer and enforce the Weed Control Act , prevent the spread of weeds, as well to protect agriculture lands from areas or disturbance or transportation corridors that generally have a greater potential for the invasion and establishment of weeds.

Herbicide is applied to roadsides for weed and brush control. This is done on a rotational basis, one third of the County is treated per year. Click to view the map of the Proposed Area to be Sprayed over the next three years, approximately covering 12,500 acres. Please note spot spraying for weeds can be done anywhere within the County throughout the season. Registered herbicides are applied of according to label directions. Brush control and grass mowing programs are done to improve road safety, such as sight lines, shading and ease for spotting wildlife.

All landowners are responsible for weed and grass control on their property. County ratepayers have the option of requesting that no herbicide be applied on road allowances adjacent to their property. A "No Spray Agreement" must be signed by the landowner agreeing to take full responsibility for weed and brush control in the portion of the road allowance that borders their property. This agreement is for five years and must be renewed every five years. County policy is to respect a no spray buffer of 30 Meters around shelterbelts, gardens and dwellings. Ratepayers who farm County ditches, either for grain or hay, must also sign an agreement with the County to prevent damage to their crop.

To view a copy of the No Spray Agreement for 2011 with Mountain View County or for more information, please contact the Agriculture Services department at 403-335-3311 ext 184

Weed Inspection

The role of a weed inspector is to increase public awareness and involvement to help reduce the introduction and spread of weeds. As well to provide guidance and information to landowners regarding weed concerns, weed problems, invasive species, escaped ornamentals and their impacts on the environment. Hopefully with increased awareness there will be more willingness to prevent and control weeds within the community.

A weed inspector are hired and appointed by Mountain View County. As well an Agricultural Fieldman under the Agricultural Service Board Act is also a weed inspector under the Weed Control Act. Weed inspectors have the authority to enter private lands for inspection purposes. A weed inspector may issue a weed notice to remedy a weed problem if the landowner has not made adequate attempts to control weeds. However, when a weed inspector finds a weed classified under the Prohibited Noxious(restricted) category in the Weed Control Regulations a notice has to be issued under the legislation under the Weed Control Act.

To report a weed problem contact Agriculture Services Manager at 403-335-3311 ext 184 or at 403-559-7311 or by email to All reported weed problems are kept confidential.

Seed Cleaning

There are three seed cleaning operations in the County:

Mountain View Seed Cleaning Plant (Carstairs)

Olds Seed Processing Plant

Gorday Mobile Cleaning

For more information about seed cleaning facilities; where to buy certified seed; production information; and more links; please click here.

Alberta Certified Weed Free Hay

The Certified Weed Free Hay program was re-launched in 2012, with changes to the program and more momentum to encourage the program's growth into new markets.

Mountain View County has participated in the Alberta Weed Free Hay certification program since the launch in 1998. Originally, the program was intended to supply our National and Provincial Parks with hay free of invasive weeds, or their propagative parts. As the threat of invasive weeds grows, along with the awareness of the impact they can have in nature or on the farm, the appeal of Weed Free Hay grows.

Hay must be inspected a maximum of ten days before the hay is cut. Each hay field must be visually inspected by certified personnel following the standard inspection procedures. A 12-foot perimeter buffer zone must be cut and harvested separately. The 12-foot buffer should be cut prior to inspector's arrival. The County offers Weed Free Hay inspections free of charge. If you are new to the program please contact the Agricultural Department well in advance. Once hay is certified a specified coloured twine can be supplied at cost and used to identify a weed free bale along with the certificate issued by the inspector.

Once your hay is certified, it can be listed on Alberta Agriculture's Ropin' the Web hay sales under the Weed Free Hay for Sale banner to encourage greater distribution.

For more information on the program or to participate please contact the County's Agricultural Department at 403-335-3311 ext 184.


Please note storage of any goods or materials related to an agricultural operation - such as equipment and hay stacks - must meet the minimum 15 metre setback from any property line.

Aquatic Invasive Species

There has been an increased awareness campaign on Aquatic invasive species and their potential impact on our streams, rivers or lakes ecosystems. Aquatic Invasive species can be transported by boats, angler’s gear, moving fish between water bodies, or from not properly disposing live bait.

Aquatic invasive species can live up to 30 days outside of water. Inspect your boat, trailer, and equipment after each use and take these steps to properly clean, drain, and dry your boat.


  • When exiting a water body, remove all plants, animals and mud at the access area or dock.
  • At home, soak your gear in a two percent bleach solution for one minute (20 ml of bleach per litre of water).
  • Rinse, scrub or pressure-wash your boat away from storm drains, ditches or waterways.


  • Drain all water from bait buckets, coolers, livewells, bilges, ballasts, transom motors and internal compartments on land before leaving the waterbody.
  • Never release live bait into a waterbody or transfer aquatic plants or animals from waterbody to another.
  • Drain paddleboats by inverting or tilting the watercraft, opening compartments, and removing seats if necessary.


  • Dry all gear completely between trips and allow the wet areas of your boat to air dry.
  • Leave compartments open and sponge out standing water.

Information sourced from the Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resources website.

For an identification guide please click the following link to the Crown Managers Partnership guide to Aquatic invasive Species Threatening the Crown of the Continent.

For more information or to report something suspicious on your boat or equipment call Toll Free: 1 855 336-2628 (BOAT)