With plenty of changes afoot in local solid waste collection (garbage and recycling), Mountain View County wants to provide an update on service changes and other issues pertaining to this important service for our residents and landowners.
- The Sundre Recycle Centre located at 6th St SE in the town is closing on December 31, 2018. This centre is owned by the Town of Sundre and maintained by the Mountain View Regional Waste Management Commission.
- Recycling bins will be available at the Sundre Transfer Station located on RR 51, 1.6 km south of Hwy 27 (east of the Town of Sundre). Hours of operation are 9 am to 4:30 pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
- These services are available to County residents.
- In September of this year, the transfer station in Olds located on RR 20 west of the town was closed by the Mountain View Regional Waste Management Commission. Olds area residents requiring access to the services formerly available at the Olds Transfer Station can access the same services through the regional landfill, located just north of the Town of Didsbury.
- Recycling services continue to be available to rural Olds residents at the Co-op parking lot in Olds and at the recycling centre on 49th Avenue (just east of the railway line).
- Recycling services in the County’s other partner communities of Carstairs, Cremona and Didsbury remain the same and the Water Valley Transfer Station service also remains unchanged.
- Aside from the Olds facilities, which County residents are welcome to use, the County provides funding for the other remaining in-town recycling centres through agreements with our urban partners.
- At this time, the County is continuing to support the Waste Management Commission in its efforts to re-organize and provide viable recycling, transfer station and landfill solutions to the greater Mountain View County community and its urban partners.
- At this time there are no plans for the County to provide an urban style waste and recycling collection system to its residents. Land owners and residents in the County are able to rent garbage and other collection bins from a third-party provider or can haul their own garbage to the County landfill near Didsbury or to one of the transfer stations in the County. Visit mountainviewwaste.ca for more information on those locations.
- Mountain View County received a presentation from Waste Connections Inc. on November 7th at the regular Council meeting to hear about their business operations, services and current facilities in Alberta. It was also an opportunity to gather information on the company’s future plans including the replacement of their current Calgary Landfill site with alternative locations outside of Calgary including the possibility of within Mountain View County.
- To date, the company has not made any applications or submitted any proposals to the County regarding a landfill location.
As with any topic or service, please contact the County at 403-335-3311 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.