Print Version

Building permits in Mountain View County are issued in accordance with the Alberta Safety Code Act to ensure that new construction meets provincial safety codes.

What you need to know:


New Building Code Requirements - National Energy Code

How to apply:

When you apply for a building permit, you will be required to provide blueprints or plans for the project. Please call the Planning Department (403-335-3311) to ensure your plans include all required details.

When to apply:

You may apply for a building permit once you have a development permit. Many people submit both applications at the same time however your building permit will not be issued until the development permit has been approved.

In accordance with the Safety Codes Act Permit Regulations 16 (1), work is to commence within 90 days of a permit issuance and is not to be abandoned for more than 120 days or the permit will expire. If the building permit expires, you must reapply for a new permit.

Why do you need a building permit?

Building permits are important to ensure your construction meets provincial safety codes. Your insurance may not cover a claim for an accident if you do not have a building permit in place.

Other permits you may need:

Electrical, Plumbing, Gas and Private Sewage permits are also issued through the County office.

The County's Planning & Development Department is pleased to address any questions or concerns you may have. You are encouraged to contact us at 403-335-3311. We're here to help.