FAQS: Biz Rules & Regulations

Print Version

If you have any questions regarding business rules and regulations or the below content, please contact our Economic Development Officer, Adena Malyk, at 403-335-3311 ext 161 or via email at amalyk@mvcounty.com.

I want to start a business in the County, what do I do?

  • Research
    Think of a business idea you would like to pursue and do enough research to confirm that you have a viable business opportunity.
  • Write a Business plan
    Businesses can be solely-owned proprietorships, partnerships, corporations, etc.; which type of business structure works for you will depend on the size and type of business you start. Use your research to form the basis of your business plan.
  • Funding
    Contact your local Community Futures Office for training, support and financing options (Community Futures Central Alberta: http://central.albertacf.com/ )
  • Pick a location
    When deciding on a location for your business, stop by the County office for a chat with the Economic Development Officer and Planning and Development staff to determine an appropriate spot to conduct your type of business.
    This will help ensure that the site is zoned for the use that you are proposing. If your business needs to change the zoning of the property, you will be required to apply for redesignation with the Planning and Development Department. The redesignation process will evaluate the proposed zoning’s compliance with County policies and compatibility with the surrounding area. 
  • Licensing & Permits
    Depending on the type of business you want to start, you will require licenses and/or permits from the federal, provincial or municipal government.
    County staff from Economic Development or the Planning and Development Department will assist you to determine your municipal requirements and the best course of action to be successful in your start-up venture.
    In terms of provincial and federal regulations, your one stop shop is BizPal, which can be accessed here: http://services.bizpal-perle.ca//?b=48 . Answering their step-by-step questions will result in a complete list of provincial and federal licenses and permits you will need to obtain to operate your business.
  • Register Business Name
    Go to an authorized location to register your business name. More information available here: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/register-a-business-name.cfm
  • Business Number
    Register a business number with the Canadian Revenue Agency in order to pay GST and payroll tax. More information here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bn/

What is a development permit?

A development permit allows a specific type of development, on a specific parcel of land in the county to proceed in compliance with our zoning and development bylaws. A development permit may stipulate some of the following conditions: the allowed use of the property, intensity of that use, building height, building site coverage, setbacks from property lines, hours of operation and other building and parking requirements.

When do you need a development permit?

If you are building a new building, home or otherwise, adding on to current building, replacing or repairing existing buildings, changing the use, intensity of use of land or buildings you will need a development permit. You will also need one if you are changing the grades by excavating, filling or stockpiling soil or putting up signs on buildings or private land.

Businesses in Mountain View County must obtain a development permit prior to beginning operation of your business.

We strongly recommend calling the county 403-335-3311 to confirm whether or not a project and/or business require a development permit.

What is the process for obtaining a development permit?

First and foremost call the County at 403-335-3311 to set-up a FREE pre-application meeting to discuss your plans. In this meeting you can expect to learn the following process of applying for and obtaining a development permit. Including but not limited to the application form, supporting documents, understand if your plans align or do not align with the County’s Land Use Bylaw.

What is the development permit process?

Step 1: Pre application meeting with Planning & Development representatives to determine your course of action.

Step 2: Submission of a completed application with all necessary components.

Step 3: Circulation of the application to agencies and adjacent landowners for their consideration and comment, if applicable.

Step 4: A Development Officer evaluates the application and assesses the suitability of the site in accordance with the provisions of the Land Use Bylaw and Statutory Plans and provides recommendation of either approval or refusal to the Approving Authority.

Step 5: A decision is made and the applicant is notified in writing. 

Step 6:  If the application is for a permitted use the permit is issued to the applicant upon approval. If the application is for a Discretionary Use Development Permit, it is advertised in the local newspaper for a 14-day period following approval, this allows for appeals, should there be any. If there is a appeal this would start an appeal process with the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) that includes a hearing open to the public. The SDAB’s decision may be to refuse or approve the development permit.,

Final steps: If a development permit is issued and entails erecting or changing the use of any building or structures, then Building Permits and other safety code permits (electrical, gas, plumbing) must be obtained prior to beginning construction.

What is a business license?

A business license is a permit typically issued by urban municipalities that allow individuals or companies to conduct business within that municipality’s geographical jurisdiction.  Mountain View County does not require business to obtain a business license prior to operating. All business must obtain a development permit prior to beginning operation of your business.

What is a building permit?

A building permit allows construction of buildings or structure to proceed on condition of compliance with the Alberta Building Code which addresses building and fire safety. A building permit is required for the construction, alteration, repair, relocation, demolition, or change of use of a building. Farm buildings, and non-hazardous accessory buildings under 100 square feet (10m2), are exempt.

What is a home office business?

A Home Office business is located within your residential dwelling and has zero impact on adjacent dwellings. The business has no clients visiting its location, no storage and no signage. This type of business is exempt from requiring a development permit.

What is a home based business?

On the other hand Home Based Businesses do require a development permit. These types of businesses are:

  • Limited to the existing principal dwelling unit and accessory buildings, and the operator must reside on the property.
  • Cannot have any outside storage, no variation from the external appearance and residential character of the land or buildings.
  • No exterior advertisement on the property, other than an identification sign shall be allowed – this signage must be approved within the development permit.
  • May generate up to two (2) business-related visits per day and up to two (2) commercial vehicles shall be allowed.
  • Allowed one (1) employee in addition to the permanent resident(s) of the property.

What is a contractors business?

a Contractors Business is much like a Home Based Business and requires a development permit, however the differences are:

  • Outside storage is allowed but must be kept within a building or screened storage area and shall not be placed within yard setbacks.
  • The business use shall not generate noise, smoke, steam, odour, dust, fumes, exhaust, vibration, heat, glare, or refuse matter considered offensive or excessive by the approving authority.
  • One (1) sign is allowed in accordance with Mountain View County Industrial and Commercial Design Guidelines; cannot be illuminated and must be approved as part of the development permit.
  • Customer traffic and commercial vehicles shall be at the discretion of the Approving Authority.
  • Employees, in addition to the permanent resident(s) of the property engaged within the business, shall be allowed at the discretion of the Approving Authority.

What information do I need to apply for a development permit for home based or contractors business?

  • A detailed description of the business, including the types and hours of operations or activities that will take place on the site.
  • Detailed description of the materials, equipment and/or vehicles that will be used, where they will be stored on site and, if stored outside, what screening will be provided from the road and neighbours.
  • Existing or proposed buildings where the activities/operations will take place.
  • Existing or proposed servicing arrangements.
  • Proposed signage including signage details, size and design.
  • The number of resident and non-resident employees visiting or working at the site.
  • The number of business visits per day to the property.
  • The number of parking spaces on the property
  • Mitigation measures that will be undertaken to avoid potential nuisance effects for neighbours.
  • Site sketch