Fire Permits & Regulations

Print Version

The Steps to Take for Controlled Burns in MVC

1. The online fire permitting system is closed until March 1, 2019. Permits are no longer required for large scale burns, however, adherence to the Mountain View County Fire Bylaw (see below) is required.

For more information/clarification please call 403-335-3311 ext 125.

To view the MVC Fire Bylaw for further details see: MVC Fire Bylaw 26/18

Note: If conditions dictate, Mountain View County may require permits outside the normal permitting time period. If conditions also dictate, the County (or the Province) may also institute a partial or total fire ban at any time of the year (See #4 below).

2. Conducting Your Burn

As of November 1, 2018 the toll free number to contact fire dispatch is no longer in service.

Individuals conducting large scale burns are still required to work within the provisions of the Mountain View County Fire Bylaw (see link above).

3. Determine if you live in the Forest Protection Area

The Alberta Forest Protection Area includes two portions of Mountain View County (one near Water Valley and the other west of Sundre and Bergen):

  • West of RR 54 from Twp Rd 310 to the South Boundary (covered by Calgary Ag & Forestry office - 403-297-8800 or 310-0000 toll free).
  • West of RR 60 from Twp Rd 312 to the North Boundary (covered by Rocky Mtn. House Ag & Forestry office - 403-845-8272 or 310-0000 toll free).
  • See Map of Forest Protection Area in Mountain View County.

Note: Mountain View County cannot issue fire permits for these areas and cannot institute fire bans in these areas. The full responsibility for these regulations is with the Province of Alberta.

4. Determine if it is Safe to Burn

During certain times of the year, due to dry and/or windy conditions, full or partial fire bans may be implemented for Mountain View County and the surrounding communites and municipalities.

During full fire bans, fires within the County are banned until further notice, and all existing fires must be extinguished.

Exceptions are made for fires which are contained in cooking and heating appliances fuelled by fluids, gasses, briquettes or pellets. During a partial ban, contained campfires with a screen and burning barrels are generally exempted along with the above outdoor cooking appliances.

During a partial or full fire ban, any fire permits that have been previously issued by the County will be void. New fire permits will not be issued until the ban is lifted.

Information on fire bans will appear on our website, on our social media accounts, or can be viewed at the Alberta Fire Bans website.

2018/19 Mountain View County fire guardians
Pam Thomas Mountain View County Staff 403-335-3311 ext 125
Jane Fulton Mountain View County Staff 403-335-3311 ext 184


Under provisions in the MVC Fire Bylaw (Bylaw 26/18), use of fireworks requires a permit year-round.

Mountain View County has two Fireworks categories: Consumer and Display.

Consumer Fireworks are defined as fireworks that are low-hazard and designed for recreational use.

Display Fireworks are defined as fireworks that are high-hazard and designed for professional use.

An online permitting system has been developed for Consumer Fireworks. Currently, the system does not generate a permit number, but if your submission goes through, you do have a valid permit. If the permit does not get emailed to you directly please contact the office at 403-335-3311 ext 204.

Anyone planning Display or extensive firework useage is asked to fill out the Display Fireworks Application, or call the County office at 403-335-3311 ext 204 and obtain their permit or request more information.