Becoming a County
The first local government in Mountain View
Proir to becoming a province the territoiral government of Alberta created Local Improvement Districts, small administrative areas of three to six townships used to administer local areas. These distrcits remained in use until 1912, when the province reorganizaed rural municipalities. Following a plebsicite, the Rural Municipality of Mountain View No. 310 was created out of four improvement districts around Olds and Didsbury on Dec. 9, 1912.
Municipal District of Mountain View
On December 6, 1943, a number of municipal districts ncluding the the Rural Municipality of Mountain View were merged to create the Municipal District of Dog Pound No.280. On Mar 31, 1944, the name of the Municipal District of Dog Pound No, 280 was changed to the Municipal District of Mountain View No. 280. On Apr 14, 1945, the Municipal District of Mountain View No. 280 was renumbered as the Municipal District of Mountain View No. 49.
Becoming a County
The County Act was prclaimed on July 1, 1950. The county system combined all local governments (municipal councils, school boards and under special circumstances, hospital administration) into a single authority for all local purposes, whereas they were separate before. The first two counties in Alberta were Grande Prairie (No.1) and Vulcan (No.2) which were created on January 1, 1951.
The Alberta County System
An Alberta government publication from 1959 providing information about the County System. Click here to download (PDF file - 2.6 MB )
The County System
A report of a joint meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Olds School Division No. 31 and theCouncil of the M.D. of Mountain View No. 49 held on Saturday, September 19th, 1959. The meeting was also attended by Alberta's Minister of Education and Deputy Minister of Municipal Affairs at the time. Reprinted from the Olds Gazette of Sept. 24. 1959. Click here to download (PDF file - 1.3 MB )
The County of Mountain View No. 17
On January 1, 1961, the Municipal District of Mountain View No. 49 was formed into the County of Mountain View No. 17.
The Business of Council
Audited Financial Statements (1967 / 1968)
The County Crest
Correspondence between Reeve Wm. Bagnall and the Government of Alberta house in London regarding a proposed crest for the County. Letter includes sketches of proposed crests. (Click to download - PDF 574 KB)
Bylaw No. 579 - Providing for adoption of an official County crest dated May 27, 1970. Includes sketch of approved crest. (PDF -277 KB)
Approval by the Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta, Grant MacEwan, dated June 17, 1970. Also signed by Premier Harry Strom. (PDF - 264 KB)
Mountain View County
On January 21, 1998, an Order in Council was approved changing the name of the municipality from the County of Mountain View No. 17 to Mountain View County .
Correspondence from Minister Iris Evans to Reeve Pat James, including Order in Council.(PDF - 132 KB)
List of County Councillors from 1961-2011 (PDF - 23 KB)